Jennifer Mixan-Darden, LPC
Jennifer Mixan-Darden, LPC
Jennifer Mixan-Darden is a Licensed Professional Counselor that specializes in providing outpatient therapy to women of all ages. She has enjoyed working in the outpatient therapy setting of The Westwood Group since 2017, addressing a board range of clinical concerns. She worked for several years as a therapeutic clinician and counselor for community mental health in urban areas. She has five years’ experience as a therapist counseling young women ages 12 to 21 in residential treatment, along with their families. Ms. Mixan-Darden worked as a school counselor before pursuing her Post-Master’s degree in Professional Counseling through the Department of Rehabilitation at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU). She previously completed her Bachelor of Science in Psychology and Masters degree in Counselor Education from VCU.
Ms. Mixan-Darden has experience with a multitude of mild, moderate, and severe mental health concerns. She works to provides a non-biased supportive atmosphere for women where they can discuss many of the challenges related to daily living and relationships to develop the confidence and skills required to maintain healthy individual lives and partnerships.
Ms. Mixan-Darden uses a person-centered and narrative approach while pulling therapeutic techniques from cognitive behavioral therapies, dialectical behavior therapy, solution-focused therapy, narrative and interpersonal therapies. She believes in meeting someone where they are in their personal journey, and working collaboratively with non-judgmental, unconditional positive regard to help improve daily functioning and increase satisfaction with self and life. Ms. Mixan-Darden enjoys providing support and understanding to others so they can establish healthy coping skills, develop solutions, and find the answers they seek that are often within themselves waiting to surface.
- Challenges of young adulthood: navigating higher education, independence, career development, and relationships
- Women’s issues including stages of life such as pregnancy, postpartum, motherhood, and changes through middle age
- Trauma recovery
- Anxiety, Depression, ADHD, Bipolar Disorder
- Adjustment issues, stress management during transition periods in life
- Grief and loss
- Mitigating self-harming behaviors
- Strategies to help regulate moods
- Strategies to improve problem-solving skills
- Licensed Professional Counselor
- Bachelors of Science in Psychology, Masters Degree in Counselor Education, Post-Masters in Professional Counseling from Virginia Commonwealth University
- Providing counseling since 2006
- Training and certification as Clinical Trauma Professional
Phone:(804) 264-0966, Ext. 56
- Office Hours:
Office hours vary Monday through Friday, early mornings available starting at 7 am, limited evening hours